Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Would the Food52 Test Kitchen please answer a question I posted to the Whole Wheat Pita recipe?

I also posted the question here on the Hotline, but perhaps it was viewed as a rhetorical question, as no one has answered it. It's not.
Here is what I posted to the recipe https://food52.com/recipes... , paraphrased:

Was this recipe tested by the Food52 test kitchen using cup (volume) measures for the water? A cup of water does not = 8 ounces but rather, 8 fluid ounces, which = 8.32 ounces.
I'm asking simply what the correct amount of water is. (I'd use 236 grams if I hadn't seen the "8 ounces" for 1 cup there; 8 ounces = 226 grams.)
I really do want to try this recipe! And yes, that 1.36 ounces of water overall will make a difference. Thanks so much. ;o)

asked 6 months ago
Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

To anyone who might be wondering, this question has been addressed by the author on the recipe page.

Excellent, thanks! It wasn't when I posted this, and I've had so many of my questions on editors' recipe pages flat out ignored, I figured I'd try again here.
It's better on the recipe page anyway! And so glad to see that the ingredient list has been fixed. We'll be making these pita this weekend - finishing them on the grill! ;o)

Also, for anyone else interested in this recipe: I'll be posting this weekend the ingredient quantities in mass measures (grams) for those of us whose scales don't include decimal based ounces - or who otherwise prefer the convenience of metric. For example, it's so much easier to see the ratios when quantities are expressed in grams. ;o)

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

This is one of the advantages of mass-based metric recipe measurements.

When I make sauerkraut, I know it is 18 g of salt per 1000 g (1 kg) of cabbage. The conversion is simple. If I used tablespoons of salt or cups of cabbage, the conversion is far more difficult.

For baking, it's far easier to hit the "tare" button on a kitchen scale after each ingredient.

I noticed that at least 6 other recipes by this author have the same typo. I'll send a note to the editors with the links so those recipes can be corrected as well, unless Food52 prefers that I post comments to each of those recipes.
Perhaps the editorial team could do a short piece on fluid ounces vs dry ounces, if the topic has not yet been covered, to help users understand this better when reading other recipes providing alternate units of measure. ;o)