IT'S TOMATO WEEK ON FOOD52! CELEBRATE ACCORDINGLY »
🔕 🔔

I know nothing about knives and am thinking of buying a set in a block. What kind do people recommend? I don't particularly need steak knives.

asked by saraivry almost 6 years ago
E3d32aba d83e 402e 9ecc d3e3836e1d99  unknown

I use Shun knives. They have a line that is made for home use that is very high quality. They keep an edge well and the handle is easy and comfortable to hold onto.
The butcher block is made from bamboo which is green and modern.
http://www.williams-sonoma...

25b9c846 3a51 4f5d 8c31 8170bcd75632  my photo

I don't recommend buying a set of knives in a block. The reason is that for most cooks, you don't need all those knives and although one of the knives in the set might feel right in your hand the rest might not!!

Better to go to a good kitchenware store (Sur la Table is great for this!!) and actually try out the knives - see which ones feel good in your hand and are comfortable.

To start out, you need two knives - a good chef's knife ( 8 or 10 inch depending upon which feels better to you) and a good paring knife. If you have a bit more to spend on knives, a good serrated knife (aka a "bread knife") is also a very versatile knife to own. Beyond that, you can add knives as you need/want. Again, choosing each knife based upon how it feels in your hand.

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

I own several Cutco knives and they are my favorites! They're expensive, but work great and come with a forever-sharp guarantee.

6421512e 15c9 434d ba10 76d1fb4836b3  n222800148 228834 9503

I agree with Nancy. I don't think a full block is necessary. I purchased several knives from Korin (http://korin.com/site/home...). You can order online if you don't live in NYC. I think having one good chef's knife (preferably japanese made), a pairing knife, bread knife and maybe a boning knife are all you need.

Cd383ee1 8489 4608 ab42 3f588caf158f  carolyn jones john astin the addams family 1964 1

Don't buy "sets" of anything, and that includes pots and pans. Buy the ones that you will actually use. However it is a good idea to keep your good knives in a block and not just toss them in a drawer (or worse, in the sink with dishes on top of them). DO NOT BUY KNIVES on-line. You must hold them in your hand to get the grip right. Does it feel good? It's an extension of your arm. Japanese knives are fantastic (they have a sword making tradition) but care for them well. I'll second the Shun suggestion.

I never recommend sets to anyone - you'll wind up buying pieces you'll never use and waste money. You can buy a block on its own (get the kind where the knives slide in sideways). As far as knives themselves, get the ones that feel the best in your hand. Are they balanced? And buy the best that you can afford. Build your collection one or two knives at a time.