🔕 🔔

Can I use red lentils for Ottolenghi's mejadra recipe?

asked by leigh frat over 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I don't see why not. Many (most) dried legumes are pretty interchangeable especially in a preparation like this which is essentially Arab beans-and-rice.

Red lentils fall apart pretty quickly, FYI.

I have made this before using red lentils. It definitely changes the consistency a bit... red lentils tend to get mushier, while other lentils hold their shape and texture a lot better. It still tasted great!! I say go for it, and use the recommended lentils next time.

4e171acf aed4 4068 98f2 5a5f1258d262  2016 03 24 20 07 38

Thanks. I don't feel like going to the store. I'll cook them less.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Even if you cook them less, they won't hold a shape. Personally, I wouldn't do it, as distinct rice and lentil shapes seem important to me in that (delicious) dish. But maybe I'm wrong. If you go ahead with it, please let us know your results.