Can I use red lentils for Ottolenghi's mejadra recipe?

asked by leigh frat about 2 years ago

I don't see why not. Many (most) dried legumes are pretty interchangeable especially in a preparation like this which is essentially Arab beans-and-rice.

Stephanie G

Red lentils fall apart pretty quickly, FYI.

Emily

I have made this before using red lentils. It definitely changes the consistency a bit... red lentils tend to get mushier, while other lentils hold their shape and texture a lot better. It still tasted great!! I say go for it, and use the recommended lentils next time.

leigh frat

Thanks. I don't feel like going to the store. I'll cook them less.

Even if you cook them less, they won't hold a shape. Personally, I wouldn't do it, as distinct rice and lentil shapes seem important to me in that (delicious) dish. But maybe I'm wrong. If you go ahead with it, please let us know your results.