Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I am looking for a good recipe for calamari steaks to serve as an appetizer. Any ideas?

asked by Gmarkb almost 6 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

The steaks will be pretty tough (and the stakes will be high) they're taken from larger squid, so use the grid side of a meat mallet---the side with the points---to tenderize them well. Set up a basic fry station; Wondra flour, egg wash, bread crumbs which you can season with salt and pepper, dredge each steak through each stage beginning with the Wondra. Meanwhile heat up a pan with butter or oil or a mixture of both. Get it hot enough to sizzle and brown the breaded steaks. I can't give you a precise cooking time because it depends on the thickness of the squid. When they are cooked and still hot, deglaze your pan with a bit of white wine and spoon that over. Add perhaps some dry oregano or other herb. The axiom about cooking squid, cuttlefish or octopus is that you give it a really short cooking time or a really long one, because in between it will do the tighten up.