🔕 🔔

What to do with leftover pie dough scraps? Any thoughts?

asked by mrslarkin about 7 years ago

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Workin' on this week's contest, are you? Roll out the dough, cut into strips, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, bake, serve with hot tea (for me) or apple juice and make the grandkids really happy. I just got done doing this. Unfortunately, the pie I made for dessert is a milk chocolate cream, which I don't think counts as an autumn pie, even though we all know that chocolate knows no season.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

During the pastry unit in culinary school (one of the happiest periods of my life), we tossed our scraps with sugar & cinnamon, pressed them together and baked them in muffin tins to make something a bit like monkey bread or bakers' muffins (more on those at this blog: http://bit.ly/9xLPaH).

19cbfb9a 4577 4f70 9a06 5c8a7eb554db  bakersmuffin

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I do exactly what betteirene does. Or you could sprinkle the dough with guyere cheese and bake. For my blue cheese crust this week, I combined all the scraps, rolled them out into a rectangle and sliced long strips about 1/2" wide with a sharp knife. With each strip, I pressed one end onto a cookie sheet, twisted the dough carefully a few times along its length, and pressed the other end onto the sheet. I popped into the freezer for 15 minutes or so (so it would hold it's shape during baking) and then baked them off for fancy little savory cookies to go with some of Oui, Chef's red pepper soup.

9ae16185 c926 440b aee2 e06da25bf123  mlt yogateau 1

I make little jam turnovers with the scraps. Great for breakfast or to accompany 4 o'clock coffee/tea!

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

I use leftover pie scraps to make turnovers, or you can freeze them and keep adding until you have enough to make another crust.

Freeze and when you have enough, make Cornish pasties. Or pigs-in-blankets, using smallish sausages or free-range beef hot dogs, cut into thirds, and wrapped 1 1/2 times with 1-inch strips, which you've painted (side facing in) lightly with stone ground mustard before wrapping baking.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Paint them with egg wash and stick on sesame seeds, then bake.