Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Dry stuffed pepper

I made stuffed pepper with quinoa, sautéed onions and zucchini. Unsurprisingly, they were very dry. Any thoughts on thoughts versus and ingredient to add moisture and what that should be?

asked by Diana 5 months ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

You might try tossing the peppers unto a gas burner (assuming you have one) and blackening the outer skin. When the skin is blistered nicely toss them in a paper bag, close it tightly and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then rub off the charred bits of skin. You won't get all of it but don't worry about that. Meanwhile you can cook your quinoa and saute your onions. You might also add a chunk of a good melting cheese like fresh mozzarella or even a triple cream like brie. Roast in the oven at no more than 350F. You can use this method with your basic super market green pepper but it's even better with stronger flavored ones like passilla or Anaheims. Hatch pepper season should be only a few weeks away.

I hadn't thought of pre-roasting them. I also might try grilling them. Unfortunately, cheese is out because my mom went dairy- (and gluten) free. I'm making them tomorrow for the whole family, but might have to do it for just my boyfriend with cheese as better peppers come available.

What you are doing in a way with the method I described is steaming them. That's what the paper bag step accomplishes. Alternatively you stuff the peppers fresh and steaming them over simmering water. Just be sure that the water doesn't evaporate completely or you will wish you hadn't followed that path.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

I've found that the gas burner method is about the worst viable choice for peeling peppers- larger flames farther away (such as a broiler or barbecue), do a much more even job. I also think it best to wrap them in a wet rag when the skin is blackened- it stops the cooking fastest, and makes for neater (if still messy) peeling. It should be known also that the peppers sold in much of the country as Pasilla peppers are more properly Poblanos- true Pasillas are too thin for stuffing.

whenever i use a vegetable as a casing for a meat stuffing (i love big zukes stuffed with gr. lamb/hamburger, onions, chopped tomatoes) and usually add an egg as a binder but also add a good amount of liquid to more resemble meatloaf. you can add v-8, tomato juice, milk if no lacto problem, broth, etc., along with some bread crumbs. you could do this with quinoa. sautéing your veggies before adding them removes a lot of the natural liquid that they contain.

4caa0af8 566e 43ab 992b 57e8725a8b1a  joey

I would definitely include tomato in the stuffed pepper filling. Saute a dollop of Tomato Paste until brick red at the end of the cooking time for the rest of your sauteed vegetables, and add the quinoa, then stir in more tomato sauce or broth until you get a filling that will stick together a bit. Add a little water to loosen if needed.