🔕 🔔

How to cook sockeye salmon without drying it out?

I'm going to be pan frying sockeye salmon steaks tonight. They are about 2/3 inch thick. But unlike Atlantic salmon, they have no visible fat in the flesh. What can I do to ensure they do not dry out (as I have had happen in the past!)?

THXS!!!!

asked by Maryann about 1 year ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Just don't cook it so long. The fish will still finish cooking even off the flame. it's only 2/3 thick so it will cook in minutes.

Poach it in olive oil with herbs...delicious, most, subtly flavored.
I favor rosemary but there are suggestions for thyme, etc.
Expensive in terms of the oil, but you can filter & reuse the oil at least once.
See attached for ideas and recipes...
https://www.google.ca/webhp...

That should read: delicious, MOIST, subtly flavored.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Kenji Lopez-Alt described a method in Cook's Magazine. It's not linked on his site but he describes it in a post on his site:
"Yes, that was my recipe. I used lemon slices, sliced shallots, and the stems from whatever herbs you're using (reserving the leaves for a vinaigrette that forms the sauce at the end) to make a platform on the bottom of the skillet for the salmon to rest on, which prevents the bottom of the salmon from overcooking from coming in contact with the hot pan.

At the end, I reduce the liquid, strain it, then combine it with a few other ingredients to form a vinaigrette to serve over the salmon. This recipe looks great as well.

Afraid I can't link to the Cook's recipe, since it's on their subscription-based site..."

You use a shallow pan, slice an onion and use the slices as a platform at the bottom of the pan to insulate the fillets from direct heat. Here's a recipe of mine from the current Salmon contest on the site using the same method: https://food52.com/recipes... . If you look at the picture, you can get the idea of Kenji's method. He used white wine and herbs instead of sake. You could use water for a similar result.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I agree that the poaching option is a good choice if Maryann wants to change from pan frying. Personally I like any salmon oven roasted.

4a133dad 72d1 43e3 84bb a8b5e6921f22  jesse avatar

Adding to creamtea's answer, putting fennel stalks under fish on the grill is traditional and delicious.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Cooking salmon fillet's en papillote is another tried and true method for cooking salmon. Individual portions each in it's own parchment envelope. You can find a number of recipes here including my own.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Well, it is a lean fish to start with. I would much rather poach or cure it. But if you still prefer the pan, use high heat and a lots of oil, and as Phil said, just a brief encounter with the flame.