Mexican Gherkins

53b1d31b 616b 47ee 819c ef53b294a879  gerkins

I grew these tiny, Mexican Gherkins, you can see they look like little watermelons. There are a lot of them and now I need to decide how to use them. I've only seen recipes for pickling. They are really sour and taste like a cucumber. any ideas?

asked about 2 years ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

you are growing some crazy stuff. I have never seen them before.

I know, I like to experiment with new or different things. You never know what you are going to get and then trying to figure out how to use them is half the fun!

Wait until you see the 'round' carrots. The greens are really flourishing so another month and the carrots should be ready. I'll take a photo. Growing those in a planter box.

My mom and brother both grow them in San Diego. Mostly for the novelty. I'm not a huge fan, but they're so darn cute. I've had them cut into teeny wedges in salads. Sometimes my mom puts them in a bowl with olives and drizzles with really special olive oil. I think she made a balsamic glaze with brown sugar and drizzled them. One time we sautéed them in olive oil with other veggies. That was interesting.

Nan
Nan

I grew them last year and this year I got a surprise pop up plant from last year. You can chop them and use in salsa's

Corj

Cucamelons! My 1st year growing them, one in the garden and 1 on the patio. The patio one is doing much better. Great idea to serve them as part of a nibble plate. Mine are coming in sporadically so far.

Valhalla

I love them--so cute, and they don't fall prey to the diseases that cucumbers do in my garden (where cucumber beetles are prevalent). I just eat them in salads, but they also make a great cocktail garnish. I wonder how they were traditionally used?

From the looks of them, maybe you could hollow them out and use as serving cups for dips...tzatziki, hummus, etc.

Good idea, but they are fairly small. This is a photo of the largest one which is an inch in length.

Well, your ruler-in-the-photo (like archaeology field photos) certainly helped on scale.
WAY too small for serving dips.
Maybe good for doll-house tea parties ;)

WAY too small for serving dips.

They are so tiny and cute little things. They would be great as a Barbie doll watermelon!

Panfusine

I stir fried them with spices in a cast iron wok.
http://dish-a-day-panfusine.blogspot.com/2014/06/day-173-stir-fried-mouse-melon.html

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris