Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Swedish Snö Cöne

22fbe4af 6154 4a44 b98b 0f6332c30191  swedish sno cone 2

I have a question about the recipe "Swedish Snö Cöne" from fiveandspice. My wife and I recently visited Vikre over the Grandma's Marathon weekend with my brother (Dan Veranth) and Tyler Hancock. My wife was had 2 (or 3) of your Swedish Sno Cones. I have tried to recreate after seeing the recipe of the Food 52 blog to no success. I have tried different levels of Cream of Cassis and other ingredients and I just can not replicate the drink. I do know if it is my Cream de Cassis brand (Dekuyper) I am using but it always comes out purple instead of the red color it was at the distillery. I have attached the recipe and would greatly appreciate any help or guidance you have.

asked by Tony Veranth 4 months ago
88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

The author's headnotes clearly state that they are using in-house creme de cassis. Did you try the alternate brands listed in the same headnote?

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Hi Tony! First off, so happy you guys stopped in at the distillery! I'm pretty sure that the big difference would be because of the creme de cassis. We do make our own, in house, from local blackcurrants, so it has a much clearer, more distinct currant flavor than DeKuyper would and also is a bit less bitter and is light magenta in flavor rather than the dark purple brown of DeKuyper. You may have better luck with a creme de cassis imported from France (I like the brands listed in the recipe head note), and you may also want to add a little extra Riesling syrup since our creme de cassis is a little sweeter than some of the commercial ones. Lastly, at the distillery we infuse our Riesling syrup with a handful of chopped lemongrass that we strain out once the syrup has cooled. I left this out of the food52 recipe just to simplify it for people, but you could certainly do that when making yours.