Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Olive Oil Ricotta Cake with Plums

406f0d52 c929 4341 aed4 75530efa29ba  cake

I have a question about the recipe "Olive Oil Ricotta Cake with Plums" from Kenzi Wilbur. When baking, is it better to use an olive oil with a robust more distinct flavor, or a milder one? I've never made a cake/quickbread with olive oil before, and am having trouble imaging the flavor in a cake (especially with fruit)!

asked by paczryk 3 months ago
5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

If you've never had it before, use a milder olive oil to ease in! It's not an overwhelming flavor, to be sure—but if you're just starting out, go with what you're used to. (I've used my normal cooking evoo many times with a great result.)

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I think the answer is somewhere in between. I do make olive oil cakes myself. If you use a high end oil with lots of complexity you will lose much of that in cooking. Still, you would like to capture some of the flavor that comes with good oil. I would say start with an every day oil as Kenzi suggests and build up from there.