How many small potatoes in a pound?

My grocery store does not sell prepackaged potato sacks. I'm making a recipe that calls for a pound of small potatoes (mix of blue, red, gold, fingerling). About how many would that be?

asked by Alyssa almost 2 years ago

Several. Absolutely no way to tell from "small"- doesn't the store have a scale?

OK- this is pretty vague, but I tried some quite small potatoes in a large measuring cup- 1lb. was about 3 1/2cups.

Alyssa

Thank you!
(Oddly this store does not have scales.)

Of course you could buy more than you think you need. Potatoes do keep well. If you've ever held anything in your hand that weigh's approximately a pound (maybe a large yellow onion) you can almost guess. I can't imagine that the recipe is so precise as to require exactly 1 pound.

Put the potatoes in a bag, go to a different part of the store that stocks packaged goods and find something like a bag of beans that is marked one pound. Compare the heft.

Beth

I have a 5 pound bag of red potatoes how many do I need to make 1 pound

Beth

Easy...count the # of total potatoes, divide by 5. That's your 1 lb.