🔕 🔔

Old tomatoes :(

I have about 2+ lbs of tomatoes that have been sitting on my counter for 2-3 weeks. They are no longer fragrant, Is it worth making sauce, soup, etc?

asked by SASSY KITCHEN about 1 year ago

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Wash, dry, cut them halves, drizzle them olive oil and give a toss so all are coated. Turn oven on to 400 degrees. Place them cut side down, salt, pepper and pop them in the oven. Check them after 30 minutes, they should be bubbling and the skins are turning brown. You could take them out at this point, let them cool and then remove the skins. Sometimes I put the peeled tomatoes in a blender to make sauce, other times, I cut them up, add fresh basil and garlic and toss it with pasta. Lots of possibilities! The tomatoes in the photo are various cherry tomatoes that I grew and did the same thing with them except I didn't cut many of them, too small.

4e674284 7cf3 4550 aea8 1f0c70c9ca7b  roastedts

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Two pounds is a lot to make something that might be worthless.

I suggest you take one tomato, cut a slice and taste it raw. Slice off a couple more pieces and saute them with a little salt then taste. If you like it, you might proceed with one of the options you mentioned.

If you don't find them all that great, maybe you can donate to a local charity (assuming they accept produce).

No matter what, this is really a judgment call on you.

Good luck.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Roast the tomatoes. 250 for about 7 to 8 hours. A little olive oil, some herbs and salt and pepper. All tomatoes are great roasted, enhances the flavor. You can freeze them or use them immediately.

09ff52d9 2ffb 49d6 84b7 3a81c1edb2d7  image

Pitch any rotten ones (easy to know, a rotten tomato stinks to high heaven), use the remainder for any recipe calling for ripe tomatoes.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Did you eat them??