A question about a recipe: Green Chile Pork

I have a question about the recipe "Green Chile Pork" from Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch. I am trying to adjust the level of spiciness. Loved this but some in my family would like it a little milder. As I have seeded the chiles and the amount of chile powder and cayenne are relatively modest, not sure where to make the adjustment. I know chiles especially poblanos can have very different levels of heat. I want to retain all the flavor just lose a little spice. Advice please.

5c36f022 50ad 40b8 91b0 ff959e4b8243  dsc03109
Recipe question for: Green Chile Pork

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich October 25, 2016

To tame the spiciness in this recipe you might consider omitting the 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Since you are concerned about diminishing flavor I wouldn't cut down on the peppers, but I'd remove the seeds (as you said you did), and remove any pith (the white membrane) from the interior of the pepper. Even mild peppers can sometimes pack tremendous heat. If the dish is still too hot for some family members you might consider replacing half of them with bell peppers. Best of luck!

Smaug October 25, 2016

Poblanos vary some, but at the hottest they're pretty mild. I'd skip the Cayenne and the chile powder, and sub in a mild powdered chile, such as Ancho or Negro, and maybe a touch of cinnamon and oregano. Chile powders vary widely, but are mostly powdered chiles, cumin and oregano with ofttimes a lot of powdered onion and maybe a bit of sweet spice- ingredients that are usually either redundant or not really desirable in a composed dish such as this.

Sauertea
Sauertea October 25, 2016

Thanks will tweak the chile powder and the cayenne portions. I agree that poblano are a must!

Liz D
Liz D October 25, 2016

You could also sub green bell peppers for some of the other green chilis--

Smaug October 25, 2016

The flavor of Poblanos is very distinctive, and is really central to this dish.

Valhalla
Valhalla October 26, 2016

I agree that poblanos are vital to this dish, but spice is subjective--I have found poblanos to be wildly variable. In fact, I make a casserole with them and sometimes it is great, other times far too spicy. It is tough to judge or test this, so subbing some green peppers is what I would try. I doubt a 1/4 tsp of cayenne is contributing much to the the spice level.

Smaug October 26, 2016

It's contributing a good deal more than the Poblanos or the chili powder. The heat of Poblasnos (or other peppers) can be judged pretty accurately by smell, and you can always try a small piece, though a mildly hot pepper will be quite hot eaten raw and alone. Poblanos just don't get that hot; the cayenne will be much more of a factor.

Susan W October 26, 2016

I agree with Valhalla regarding Poblanos. Some are mild and some are recipe ruining hot. I'm not sure why the wild variations. I made a pork stew using some Poblanos and some Hatch. You won't find any fresh Hatch now, but I've used the fire roasted canned and they're good. This summer, I blistered a bunch of fresh Hatch on my grill and froze them. I've decided they are only slightly better than the good canned ones.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich October 26, 2016

Poblano peppers can become quite hot due to environmental issues such as temperature and water during their growth cycle, despite the fact they are classified as a mild pepper.

Smaug October 30, 2016

I have eaten hundreds-probably thousands- of Poblanos over the years; I've grown them, from various seed sources, for at least ten years. I have never encountered one with even the very moderate heat of, say, a Big Jim or Turkish Aci. I am not at all fond of really hot foods, but if Poblanos are causing you problems, recipes with "chile" in the title are probably not for you. Bell Peppers are no sort of a substitute.

Susan W October 30, 2016

Smart, I grew up in San Diego. My mom lives on an acre and always grows tons of peppers. We're all extremely immune to "too hot". Every once in a while, I've gotten a Poblano that is all heat and no flavor. This has happened at the farmer's market, my local store and my mom's garden. In fact, the too hot poblano was on the same bush as the perfectly hot peppers.

Since Trena lives in Northern California, my instinct tells me she can take a fairly hot pepper in stride.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich October 30, 2016

Susan - Yes, I do love spicy peppers! In fact, one of my favorite pickles is a recipe for whole pickled jalapenos from Linda Ziedrich's book, The Joy of Pickling.

Susan W October 31, 2016

Trena, I have a fun little appetizer using pickled jalapenos. Had them in Texas at a few different BBQ joints many years ago. Simple and addicting. I'll message you the recipe.

Kenneth
Kenneth October 30, 2016

Roast or grill the peppers to keep the flavors. This should help you. I would also suggest that you build up your tolerance for different types of spicy peppers. You are at the bottom of the heat scale, your missing out on so much wonderful fruity spicy tastes, I'm crossing a Carolina Reaper with a Thai Pepper and they are going to be amusingly Hot! Lol

scruz
scruz October 30, 2016

Ok, don't hate me, but there have been times that I have just opened a can of Hatch green chile sauce for chile verde. I have noticed that the heat level can diminish overnight in the fridge. Lastly, I have been known to throw a small potato in and mash it in sauce or whizz it with stick blender and add more llquid. I really do love make moles of all sorts from scratch though and try to make enough to freeze.