🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit

3482adfb 359f 47cf 9392 a94ce0a81e77  2016 1004 cider braised pork shoulder bobbi lin 446

I have a question about the recipe "Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit" from TasteFood. Which spirit would be the best substitute for calvados

asked by Jacob Crim 11 months ago

Hard Cider made from apples.

8c9db971 a7fe 4380 a7e1 415e74cb3d1d  green apple card

I would also use cognac or armagnac.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

I see one of the commenters on the recipe tried bourbon, and gave it raves. You would seem to have plenty of apple in the recipe anyway; I wouldn't worry about it much- brandy, dark rum, bourbon- whatever you have would probably work fine.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I haven't made this recipe, but I'd suggest sherry - I've braised pork chops with apples and sherry (onions in there too) and they work very well together.