A question about a recipe: Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit

3482adfb 359f 47cf 9392 a94ce0a81e77  2016 1004 cider braised pork shoulder bobbi lin 446

I have a question about the recipe "Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit" from TasteFood. Which spirit would be the best substitute for calvados

asked by Jacob Crim over 1 year ago

Hard Cider made from apples.

TasteFood

I would also use cognac or armagnac.

I see one of the commenters on the recipe tried bourbon, and gave it raves. You would seem to have plenty of apple in the recipe anyway; I wouldn't worry about it much- brandy, dark rum, bourbon- whatever you have would probably work fine.

I haven't made this recipe, but I'd suggest sherry - I've braised pork chops with apples and sherry (onions in there too) and they work very well together.