🔕 🔔

Unevenly cooked egyptian fava beans

I bought egyptian fava beans on a whim- I am sure they were old. I soaked them for 8 hours, and boiled them for about an hour, a bit more. I tested a few of them- they seemed soft, if not mushy. I made A LOT of beans, and froze a lot of them. Now that I am actually eating them, I am noticing that more than half are actually...hard. Almost inedible. I suppose the ones I tested just happened to be well cooked. What can I do to salvage all of these beans? Microwave them? Reboil some of them? Any ideas gladly appreciated :)

asked by Girlfromipanema about 1 month ago
added about 1 month ago

An hour doesn't seem like long enough for large beans like fava, so you might try boiling them a bit more, but I'd just toss them. Old beans won't ever get soft, no matter how long you boil them.

added about 1 month ago

Thank you Exbruxelles; my first time with fava beans, lesson learned!

added about 1 month ago

Yes an hour seems a bit short for thick beans like favas, even the small Egyptian ones. My minimum is usually hour and a half and usually more.

If you hate wasting food (like me), I'd suggest boiling them again until they break down (you might still have a few hard ones if the batch was old, but less so). Using a pressure cooker might help of you have one, or a slow cooker on high for a couple of hours (2-3 hours).
You'll probably have a mix of mushy and cooked beans and could either eat as is, or make them into the Egyptian stewy refried favas called foul medammas (sorry don't have a recipe), or add them to soups where you can blend them. They add a nice body and meaty flavor.

Hope that helps !

Oh and for next time, I don't know if you already do this, but if you're not sure how old your beans are, you can add some baking soda to the soaking step. It helps soften the beans.

added about 1 month ago

Thank you so much Aisha; this was my first time with fava beans, lesson learned! I hate to throw them away, and will try reboiling them. Thanks for the tip about baking soda!