A question about a recipe: Bagna Cauda (Hot Garlic and Anchovy Sauce)

16d814d6 6246 4b07 865d 660eba724f35  bagna cauda img 5942

I have a question about the recipe "Bagna Cauda (Hot Garlic and Anchovy Sauce)" from Emiko. I've been searching for a recipe for bagna cauda, but in all of the pictures I've seen online, the sauce looks more 'separated.' I lived in Torino, Italy for the last year, and whenever I had it in a restaurant, the sauce was more emulsified. Any idea as to what the difference is?

asked by Kate Kadet over 1 year ago

Bagna Cauda can easily separate, due to the ingredients in it. You can emulsify it a little bit by using an immersion blender or a food processor, but it is still likely to separate if it sits too long. Just stir it up.

A friend of mine was the pastry chef at an incredible restaurant in Portland. They served Bagna Cauda and a glass of red wine before even verbally going over the choices of entrees. Theirs had that emulsified creamy look. Barbie said heavy cream was the secret and one the chefs learned on one of their annual trips to Italy. I love it both ways. Recently I've been drizzling it over fish.

I take it back..Emiko is exactly right. The garlic was cooked in milk. It makes it wonderfully emulsified.

Emiko

Hi! I don't know if you got a chance to see the article that originally appeared with this recipe but I mention all the variations that you can find in Piemonte and there is a creamier version that is made in Monferrato where the garlic is cooked in milk before blending together and this gives it a more emulsified texture. You can read more about it here: https://food52.com/blog...

Fascinating! I shall try that. I've never heard of that before, but I've only had Bagna Cauda in Provence.