Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Erin's Slow Roasted Turkey

Help! Planning to make Erin's Slow Roast Turkey on T-Day, and hoping to do as much prep as possible- how long can the cooked turkey sit at room temperature after cooking before the broil? Should it be covered? Or just refrigerated? If so, I'm assuming it needs to be brought to room temperature again before the second roasting.

Thanks!!

Anna

asked by Anna 15 days ago
7ef665e4 9d46 44d5 9267 38738f66265c  cs logo yellow
Cook's Science

The Cook's Science Team believes good science makes great food. Our new book, Cook's Science, explores the science behind 50 of our favorite ingredients.

Hi, Anna! I looked up that recipe to see what you were talking about. A 14-pound turkey will stay hot and at a nice serving temperature for up to an hour. At America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Science (www.cooksscience.com) we often use this 1 hour of free oven time to finish all of the sides. You could lightly tent the bird with foil during this time to retain heat at the very exterior, but be aware that it will trap moisture and your crispy skin won't stay that way. If you are going to finish it by putting it back in under the broiler, that might be an issue.

Check out our Holiday Spritz for the perfect turkey day drink: http://www.cooksscience...

- Dan Souza

A78c1629 a3ed 449b 955b 2ace691566ee  hero sfs thanksgiving cocktail 0099

Cook's Science

Correction: might *not* be an issue

C7e463f8 c3dc 4220 8e2c 3913de4dfb39  sadcookie
figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Anna,

I wouldn't let the cooked turkey sit out longer than 4 hours before doing the final step. If you are planning on longer than that, I would suggest letting the turkey cool before covering (though keep it fairly tented as you don't want the crispy skin to get too soggy) and placing back in the fridge. Reheat it according to the last step as Erin suggests. I would let it come to close to room temperature before reheating. Best of luck and happy holidays!