What temperature should I cook a 12Lb turkey for a 12 hour roast?

I want to cook my turkey slow for 6 hours. What would be the correct temperature. I am also using a roasting bag.

Azora Z. November 22, 2018
I'd love to hear how it goes, Brian!

Azora Z. November 22, 2018
Hi Brian-- truthfully, I'm unsure since the roasting bag recipe we have wasn't developed with the intention to double the cooking time. In my last answer I suggested starting at high heat to brown the skin-- oof! Apologies, I forgot you were using a roasting bag.

I haven't done this, so I can't conclusively weigh in, but if you absolutely must roast it for 6 hours, no less, I would start at a 275-300 degree range, then on the 5th hour, slice open the bag to brown the skin and increase the heat to 350 or 375. I'll keep looking into this to see if anyone has ever cooked a turkey in a roasting bag this long and might have tips.

Brian M. November 22, 2018
Thank you. I decided to go with 275 for most of the cook time. I'll brown it at the end and see what I get. Iust be the only person brave enough to experiment with this on Thanksgiving.

Azora Z. November 22, 2018
Hi Brian! We just published this new recipe for turkey in a roasting bag, and the bird we used was the same size as yours: https://food52.com/recipes/77986-herbed-turkey-roasted-in-parchment

The roasting time there is significantly less than 6 hours-- I imagine you could likely start on high heat to crisp the skin and then lower the heat to achieve the low and slow kind of roasting you're looking for. Here's another one of our guides to weight and temperature for a turkey: https://food52.com/blog/18372-the-essential-numbers-a-guide-to-times-and-temps-for-cooking-your-bird

Brian M. November 22, 2018
This still doesn't answer the question oof what temperature should I cook it at. I'm cooking it for 6 hours. Not 3 not 12. So can anyone tell me what a good temperature is for a 6 hour roast in a bag?