🔕 🔔

Do I roast my turkey with water and/or broth in it?

It's my first time cooking a turkey. I put seasonings and half a stick of melted butter on it (I've taken the neck and giblets out already), and I'm not sure whether or not I should put water or broth in the pan as well. Help!

asked by Natalie Woollerton 11 months ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

No need to do this! Some do, believing the steam created from the liquid helps cook the bird—but we've roasted birds successfully without plenty of times. If you like, you can throw some vegetables underneath (potatoes, root vegetables) to help catch the drippings.

F7a07c52 dec8 4219 915b 500fe04dd17a  jeremy profile
Jeremy Beker

Senior Software Engineer at Food52

I'll second the veggies under the bird. In addition to catching the juices that come off the turkey and tasting really great after it is done, they prevent the juice from browning or burning in the bottom of your roasting pan.

3dab5e88 33eb 4bd4 9a98 cff872268cfd  meathead logo 150
meathead

Author of the New York Times Best Seller “Meathead, The Science of Barbecue and Grilling” and barbecue whisperer of AmazingRibs.com.

You must put something in the pan or the drippings will burn. That said, if you can, get the bird ABOVE the roasting pan, not in it like this picture. I discuss the reasons and how to do it here: http://amazingribs.com...

69388173 b9b2 4026 93d2 e8e77c582ba0  turkey in pan2

meathead

I just saw that Kenzi says she has had good luck without putting water in the pan. I have not. But putting veggies like brussels sprouts and potatoes in there is a great technique! Again, I strongly advocate raising the bird above the pan.