Annual NYE dinner party for 12 people and out of ideas! Previously, we've done pork loin, pot pies, beef bourg, lasagna...any new ideas?

Looking for a main course with meat (but no lamb), not something that requires a bunch of prep *immediately* before eating (so things don't get cold while serving everyone), and something made beforehand is okay with us. Also, we're going to have a fair amount of booze in hand - hey, it's NYE! - so something hearty is desirable! Help!

Thank you -

asked by Nick Kenny almost 2 years ago

Marguerite Oat

Posole with all the traditional toppings and a great big pan of cornbread!

Cotecchino with lentils. This is a fat Italian holiday sausage. The combination symbolises coins for good luck.

Windischgirl

Pork is traditionally good luck for the New Year. How about Bigos: Polish Hunter's Stew, which includes pork cubes and sausages cooked with sauerkraut...added bonus in that sauerkraut is a hangover cure! Can be made in a slow cooker or DO in the oven, can tolerate waiting, and improves with age.
Another suggestion is a pork Pörkolt, a gently spicy Hungarian stew, which also benefits from being made ahead and can be done in a slow cooker; I've posted my grandmother's recipe here at Food52 but am having trouble posting the link.
Third idea are tapas, which are intended to go with drinks and can be served at various temperatures....hot, chilled, room temp. Put things out a platter at a time and when one is finished, put out the next platter. The relaxed noshing is fun and lends itself to potluck as well.

Look at this thread, currently answering what to serve on a (cozy) rainy night dinner party. Might be useful for a NYE group of old friends
https://food52.com/hotline...

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Rib roast , with a nice hot gravy on the side. easy and impressive.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

coincidentally, this article was just posted : https://food52.com/blog...

caninechef

A budget friendly option - David Lebovitz's Chicken in Mustard. The recipe is all over the internet. I have been thinking about this recipe lately and need to make it soon. Don't be afraid of all the mustard, it really mellow out in the cooking.

I made it just last week. It's sooo good.

Prime Rib Roast
Braised Short Ribs
Osso Bucco (using oxtail)
Carbonade Flamande
Kalbi

Tuscan beef stew (Cook's Illustrated - send me a note if you don't have access) over polenta; both can be made in advance. It's not really a stew as one would typically imagine. Rather, it's beef braised in Chianti with black pepper. It's terrific - and best made a day or two or three ahead of time, making it perfect for a party. Serve with a bright salad that features a variety of greens, citrus, pomegranate seeds and toasted pine nuts. Stress free and everyone will love it. ;o)

Mini meat loafs cooked a muffin tin. And stuffing 'muffins'. (okay technically dressing muffins) cooked in a muffin tin.
Or do a Southern USA NYE. Black Eyed Peas with smoked hamhocks, Collard greens with porkbelly. Cornbread, And prime rib. ham, or a Chuck Roast cooked 'sous vide' , if you're all fancy like that.
https://www.youtube.com...

Completely different from what you've ever done, could be a typical Provencal holiday buffet. I used to teach that class every Christmas, and as a caterer served it any number of times. It starts with a heavenly Cream of Garlic Soup and proceeds with savory tarts and pizzas/pissaladieres that can all be done ahead of time and reheated. The dessert is the 13 desserts of Christmas, which are mostly dried fruits and nuts but are highlighted by one lovely baked offering. If you interested in the details, feel free to pm me here on Food52.

Then there is the Italian feast of the several fishes as offered on Christmas eve.

MMH
MMH

I like the Cooks Illustrated recipe for eye of round roast. Easy. Perfectly medium rare. Not as expensive as beef tenderloin but every bit as delicious.

Windischgirl

Let us know what you decide!

stacy

Ina Garten's Company Pot Roast is really really good, it ends up being more of a beef stew for us. Maybe not fancy, but delicious and easy to make

http://www.foodnetwork...

ktr
ktr

It isn't very festive, but a big pot of chili and some cornbread are easy to make for a crowd and pretty hearty.

Nick Kenny

These are all SO helpful. Great suggestions, everyone. I think I've got dinner party ideas for well into the 2017.

My wife and I honeymooned in Provence this fall, so the Provencal menu is definitely intriguing us. We learned about the 13 desserts as well...

However - we currently have 2 options in the running for NYE Dinner. The Tuscan Beef Stew AntoniaJames mentioned looks amazing, and HalfPint mentioned Braised Short Ribs, and we found a recipe on another site (for shame!) that looks fantastic. We're going to test them this weekend in small portions and make a decision!

Thank you for all the help and ideas. Like I said, chances are good we'll make most of the things on this thread at some point in 2017. Cheers!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I saw this short ribs recipe in the NY Times today if you are thinking about short ribs http://www.nytimes.com...

sydney

I was going to add the short ribs that came up in the NYT that Phil mentioned first. Wow, it looks delicious! No idea why: it's just short ribs. But it somehow leaps off the page!

ReisTanzi

Sounds like you're close to your decision, but for anyone else looking - A friend and I made coq au vin for a NYE dinner party together a few years ago and found it great for the occasion - cozy and comforting but special enough for the holiday. I think chicken is considered bad luck for New Year's (they scratch backward in the dirt, so they don't represent progress, I think) - if that's a consideration!

Windischgirl

My Eastern European mother says that chicken for New Years means "your luck will fly away" but since pigs root around to find treasure--like truffles--so you too will find good fortune!
LOL...as long as it's delicious, and you share the meal with good friends, that seems pretty lucky to me.