A question about a recipe: Summer Pasta alla Caprese

Bd23009a 6cab 475c 9961 c7e840433626  2013 0729 wind and willow beech wood bowls mid 021

I have a question about the recipe "Summer Pasta alla Caprese" from Merrill Stubbs. Can canned tomatoes be substituted for fresh in winter?

asked by Cmgrauer almost 2 years ago

Nancy W

Maybe, but the texture would be pretty soft. I think that oven roasted grape tomatoes (even in the winter) would be a better match.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Agree with Nancy W option. You may also be able to find some colorful assorted small tomatoes. Whole Foods carries them in the winter. Its an assortment of yellow, grape, orange , green etc... They have decent flavor and look nice in the dish

Uncle Jess

I would suggest waiting for summer, or at least try it again in the summer to see what it should taste like. Winter tomatoes, in my opinion, just aren't the same as the glorious summer tomatoes.

mainecook61

Canned tomatoes, fine in their own right, would be terrible here. The whole point of the dish (and the fresh basil) is to make use of perfect summer ingredients, with as little fuss as possible.

nance

I have great results subbing in Campari tomatoes during the winter. They have a summery flavour, especially when roasted/warmed. Make sure you are using actual Campari tomatoes, however. The similar-sized ones which are NOT actual Campari labelled are really not the same and don't taste nearly as good.