🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Variegated Spiced Latkes

92c9e68f caf5 4400 8158 1e33e909af4b  2016 1031 variegated spiced latkes bobbi lin 11456

I have a question about the recipe "Variegated Spiced Latkes" from Sagegreen. Can these be pan seared or baked? And can any steps be done in advance?

asked by Jared Karmily 5 months ago
D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

I've never thought about baking latkes, so maybe someone else can address that. You can certainly do 'mise en place' getting everything ahead. The grating of the white potatoes though can't be done too far in advance without having to deal with browning. If you were to grate ahead you would want then to put in cold water to prevent browning and would have even more squeezing out of the liquid later....so I'm not sure if that would make sense (making more work). Good luck with any experimenting.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

http://verbatim.blogs.com...
This is a method to bake latkes.

In your questions about pan searing or baking, I hear (am I wrong?) a concern with the amount and quality of oil needed to cook these latkes.
Many have found that properly foods deep or shallow fried items taste better and are more quickly cooked through than those that have to be pan fried a long time. Also, to avoid harmful compounds that sometimes develop when frying, use oils that are fresh (not used for frying before) and have a high smoke point (e.g. sunflower or light olive oil).
Last, maybe consider making for Hanukkah another food that needs less frying or less oil (like the cheese latkes in a recent article on this site), regular pancakes or waffles.
https://food52.com/blog...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I used to bake my latkes per an old NY times recipe (not on the website). The oven was at 450º and the cookie sheets were oiled and preheated in the oven. (I sometimes even pre-formed them using a 1/4 cup metal measure and then froze them prior to baking with no problem as far as the batter turning color). I used Yukon Gold potatoes and was careful to drain the batter through a tea towel and squeeze out all the liquid. Bake 2-1/2 inch rounds on one side 8-10 minutes, then spray the tops with cooking oil spray (this is according to the recipe, but you could probably brush them with oil instead for better flavor) then flip and bake the second side until browned.