A question about a recipe: Mushroom Barley Soup

025833bb b264 4bd2 b1a8 630527bb27c6  100609f 0535

I have a question about the recipe "Mushroom Barley Soup" from Berna. Can you freeze this soup, or any with barley?

asked by Kathy bretz almost 2 years ago

sydney

You can freeze most things without too much harm; after that your own palate decides what ingredients or dishes you prefer fresh and not frozen/defrosted/reheated. I think this Mushroom Barley soup will freeze well for the sake of convenience. Freezing will alter the texture of some of the ingredients (to me, chiefly the mushrooms), but if you don't care then it's not an issue.

Agree with Sydney.
If you're asking because you've already made the mushroom barley soup, have too much to use immediately, and want to save it in the freezer, yes, ok.
On the other hand, if you've not made the soup yet, I wouldn't make a big batch to freeze. You're basically freezing water (takes up a lot of space) and freezing doesn't improve taste or texture.
Last (on the third hand), if you want some quick-to-table soup on hand, you could cook & freeze the mushrooms and barley separately (freeze mushrooms up to a year, barley up to a month), then bring them out as needed.

sydney

Whoops: Meant to say I see no issue with barley in particular.

Betsy

I regularly freeze soup with barley in it, and it freezes beautifully.