🔕 🔔

Rapini recipes

This is my first time buying rapini. I quite enjoyed it but, as most people say, it is a little bitter and, from what I've read, it should be cooked in water first. I'm looking for nice, healthy recipes beyond just serving them with a bith of olive oil and Parmesan. Thank you Food52ers!

asked by MarieGlobetrotter 7 months ago

Rapini with olive oil and garlic is simple and delicious.
There are Indian-spiced recipes for it that look good (not yet tried).
You can also use it instead of the main ingredient in recipes for other dark greens. Results won't be identical, but usyally good.

817a2e06 428e 44b9 bd8f 2e068393bb4e  stringio

Thanks!! I will look for Indian-spiced recipes as well.

Along the lines of substitutions, I love the following recipe but usually make it with Rapini not Kale: https://food52.com/recipes...

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

Nancy's suggestions are on track to cook good rapini. I bring it home and clean it right away. I trim the tough ends,wash thoroughly and allow it to drip dry in a colander. I wrap it in paper towels and the enclose in a large plastic bag ,keeping it damp. A days rest seems to tame the bitterness, and I don't know how. Along with the olive oil and garlic sautéed, I love to add chopped rapini to soups ( Italian wedding soup) and pasta with Italian sausages,hot and sweet. Experiment and NJOY!!!

Thank you!That really helps

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

This one's good:
http://www.thekitchn.com...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I like the slight bitterness of rapini, so I don't blanch it. I often 'melt' some chopped anchovies (or anchovy paste) in the olive oil used to saute the garlic. Also some red pepper flakes. Then I add the rapini, let it saute for a few minutes, tossing to coat well. Then add a few tablespoons of water to the pan, cover and let the steam finish it. You can also some raisins or dried currants if you like. The bitter, salty, sweet, spicy combo works well together.

Amysarah's recipe is definitely on target--it is the way I have had it in Puglia. I make it the same way, but often substitute bacon for the anchovies. When the rapini is cooked, toss it in the pan with orecchiette, top with bread crumbs fried in olive oil or Parmegiano cheese.

I do not blanch it first. I, too, like the bitter flavor.

Mmmhh, I like the idea of raisins. Sweet and bitter sounds great

Liking the idea of raisins. Combining sweet and bitter

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

If you don't like the bitter flavor, I recommend Amanda's recipe. The cream mutes the bitterness: https://food52.com/recipes...

Like other posters, I too like cooking broccoli rabe with anchovy. I have made a few riffs on this dish, and thought that it was really good. Cannellini eans are a great accompaniment to broccoli rabe: https://food52.com/recipes...

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

i like to blanch it then shock it in a ice bath then drain to keep it nice and bright. I make a bagna cauda with some chili flake garlic and anchovy. Since the rapini is plain you can keep it in the fridge and use as needed or mix with the bagna cauda and toss with some pasta. All the hotline suggestions listed will work. It's easy to make so go for it and enjoy.

i had an italian neighbor (from italy) who was a fabulous cook. we used to go out to the natural field/park near our houses and pick the tops of wild radish for rapini. she would always blanch it first before putting in oil and garlic. i love the color of rapini/wild mustard cooked this way and it was my first introduction to bitter as food (other than chocolate!).