Birthday cakes to pair well with beer

I'm hosting a birthday gathering at a local brewery tomorrow for my friend & I'm trying to think what sort of cake will go best with a lot of strong (mostly hoppy) California beers. Any suggestions? I'll take inspiration from anywhere! I'd like it to have some durability since I'll be toting it around.

asked by enbe almost 2 years ago

Gingerbread (with or without chocolate: https://food52.com/recipes...)
also Lori colwin's gingerbread https://food52.com/recipes...

enbe

These are great ideas - I first thought gingerbread too - but I fear it's too divisive...although I greatly love gingerbread.

Valhalla

For a dark beer like a port I love a spice cake, but for hoppy IPAs I'd consider a lemon cake--citrusy/herby.

madcow19

Flourless choclate cake?

Creme brulee or a fruit strudel (defining "cake" loosely as a sweet baked dessert) to go with a hoppy beer.
See Observer website (Britush newspaper) March 2015 article for more ideas.

Nigella Lawson makes a delicious chocolate cake with Guinness, and cream cheese frosting. Should be great with beer. http://cooking.nytimes...

John Jastram

Box cake mix in a Bundt pan, sub red wine for water. Glaze with a brandy/powdered sugar slurry. Beer with a shot chaser.

sydney

A banana bread could pair well, depending on the notes in the beer.

My Friend Maillard

Appologies if this is too late, but: There's a simple Nigella Lawson Almond Clementine Cake that I love. It is citrus-y but neither sweet or sour so I think it would go with a lot of beers, and it is rich (from almond meal and eggs) without the heavy mouthfeel of butter/oil so if there is a beer it isnt great with water in between bites/drinks should be sufficient not to interfere with the beer (which sounds like the star). Add a tablespoon or two of chopped fresh rosemary to add an extra pine-y note to play with the hops if you can!

http://www.foodnetwork...

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Ovenly Bakery has a stout cake that will BLOW YOU AWAY....they use it in their blackout cake, but I've used it with so many things. It's dense enough that you can bake it as a sheet cake and really do anything with it. I've slathered it with Irish cream buttercream, bourbon caramel, cream cheese frosting, earl grey-milk chocolate ganache, etc.

Hope the birthday celebration went well!
Meanwhile,
1) what cakes/desserts did you serve,
2) would you recommend them again
3) with which beers?
Always willing to do taste tests with more info ;)...