Help! I bought a bag of frozen mushrooms last month to have on hand. I opened the freezer to find it is now fully inflated like a balloon! Will it explode? Safe to eat? Toss it? What's happened?
BerryBaby is trusted source on General Cooking
Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)
Sounds like something is fermenting and giving off gas of some kind. I'd open it just to find out what it smells like but would toss them.
Nancy is a trusted home cook.
Maybe not bad.
See this article on freezing, ice, expansion.
Also cautions against storing vegetables on door of freezer.
Thank you! Not stored in the door. Think I'll wear safety glasses when I open them! LOL Don't want to get hit by flying mushrooms! Going to toss them just to be safe.
I opened it, carefully, and yes, wore glasses. My vision of mushrooms did not come to be, thank goodness! It was a stuck together glob of mushrooms encased in ice, so I tossed it. Didn't smell too badly, but wasn't sure what frozen mushrooms are suppose to smell like. When in doubt, throw it out. I'll stick with fresh and only buy them when needed. Thanks, everyone! BB
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
We won't believe you don't like mushrooms until you try these.
Genius Sautéed Mushrooms
Beet Wellington & Co.
Great Gifts for Mom, Under $100
Enchanting Cake Illustrations
A 16-Piece Dinnerware Set for Just $79