🔕 🔔

Here's one for my fellow foodpicklers: The LA Times kitchen tip this week suggests saving Parmigiano cheese rinds to toss into a soup or stew, which I already do. But the tip recommends freezing them until needed. What if you haven't frozen them? How long will they last refrigerated? I have some that are pretty long in the tooth -- can I still use them in a soup? They're not moldy, just really old.

asked by cookbookchick over 6 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I've got some oldies stashed in the fridge cheese drawer, too, in a heavy duty plastic freezer bag. In the way back, where it's coldest. Every time I dig one out, I tell myself "I should put those in the freezer". They're still tasty. As long as it's a hard cheese rind, and not moldy, I think we're fine. I mean, Parmigiano is aged for years anyway, right?

But, henceforth, maybe we should start putting them in the freezer.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I agree - oldie does not necessarily = moldy. I say smell them - if they smell like stinky feet, chuck 'rem, if they smell like parmesan - into the pot they go!

If there is no visible mold (which could be scraped off anyway) they are fine. And this is a good way to add a little flavor boost to minestre. Of course a prosciutto bone also works wonders.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I never remember to freeze them either and I don't think I've ever had to throw one out. They seem to last forever.

80cc9648 9cfe 4049 92f3 f6fef0f3a439  fb avatar

no mond, then good to go. It is aged cheese and unless it smells off or looks funky, it will be fine.

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

I agree. I keep it in the fridge.

59cd3d09 35ea 4407 bdbc 3087c9556d2b  turkey soup 004

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Even when they are very old and hard as a rock, they add wonderful flavor.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Thanks everybody! I guess I'll just keep doin' what I'm doin', but I better buckle down and start making more soup. i do use a lot of Parmigiano and the rinds are piling up -- in a heavy duty plastic bag in the back of my fridge, just like mrslarkin. casa-giardino, what is that delicious-looking concoction in your photo?