Here's one for my fellow foodpicklers: The LA Times kitchen tip this week suggests saving Parmigiano cheese rinds to toss into a soup or stew, which I already do. But the tip recommends freezing them until needed. What if you haven't frozen them? How long will they last refrigerated? I have some that are pretty long in the tooth -- can I still use them in a soup? They're not moldy, just really old.

mrslarkin February 10, 2011

I've got some oldies stashed in the fridge cheese drawer, too, in a heavy duty plastic freezer bag. In the way back, where it's coldest. Every time I dig one out, I tell myself "I should put those in the freezer". They're still tasty. As long as it's a hard cheese rind, and not moldy, I think we're fine. I mean, Parmigiano is aged for years anyway, right?

But, henceforth, maybe we should start putting them in the freezer.

aargersi February 10, 2011

I agree - oldie does not necessarily = moldy. I say smell them - if they smell like stinky feet, chuck 'rem, if they smell like parmesan - into the pot they go!

pierino February 10, 2011

If there is no visible mold (which could be scraped off anyway) they are fine. And this is a good way to add a little flavor boost to minestre. Of course a prosciutto bone also works wonders.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen February 10, 2011

I never remember to freeze them either and I don't think I've ever had to throw one out. They seem to last forever.

jwolfsthal
jwolfsthal February 10, 2011

no mond, then good to go. It is aged cheese and unless it smells off or looks funky, it will be fine.

casa-giardino
casa-giardino February 10, 2011

I agree. I keep it in the fridge.

latoscana
latoscana February 10, 2011

Even when they are very old and hard as a rock, they add wonderful flavor.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick February 10, 2011

Thanks everybody! I guess I'll just keep doin' what I'm doin', but I better buckle down and start making more soup. i do use a lot of Parmigiano and the rinds are piling up -- in a heavy duty plastic bag in the back of my fridge, just like mrslarkin. casa-giardino, what is that delicious-looking concoction in your photo?