Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

I remember when I was growing up that English muffins has a particular taste. Now they taste just like bread. Do you have a recipe that will put the tang back in English muffins?

asked by jayne_brown almost 6 years ago

It's all in the starter and fermentation.

Water 12 oz
Fresh yeast .25 oz
Bread flour 1 lb
Salt .25 oz
Sugar .25 oz
Nonfat milk
Solids .4 oz
Shortening .25
Sour starter 6 oz

Bloom yeast in 100F tap water
Add all ingredients to mixer bowl
Mix until dough becomes smooth
And continue to mix adding sour starter a little at a time until gone.
Continue mixing for ten minutes ( this is what gives the nooks and crannies.
Ferment at room temp for 2.5 to 3 hours
Scale each into 1.5 oz and shape into balls and relax dough for a min of 15min
And flatten with your palms. Place on cornmeal covered sheet pans and proof until desired size.
Bake on both sides on a griddle or large cast Iron skillet until firm and browned on both sides.
Dough is sticky so you will need to use plenty of dusting flour.

This is my tried and true method.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

ChefDaddy: Your recipe looks great! I've been wanting to try making English muffins for awhile. Since I'll be making them gluten-free, I need to start my own sour starter. Do you have a tried and true method for doing that? (I've seen some methods on the web, but haven't tried any yet.)

@Syronai- I do have a recipe for a starter which I have used professionally but the one I use at home I have been feeding for at least 15yrs that came from a sourdough bakery that a friend of mine used to own. I have no knowledge of gluten free baking but the recipe for the starter is:

1 lb of flour
12 oz of water
.8 oz of yeast
1 onion cut in half

Start with water at 100F (luke warm) and add yeast to bloom
After yeast blooms add to flour in mixing bowl and wisk until smooth and add onion halves. Let it stand at room temp for 24 hrs then remove onion. Store and keep feeding and it will last you a life time. I also like to let it breathe so that it picks up the natural yeast in the air and this can change it's flavor characteristics. For feading add 1 part water (luke warm ) to 1 part flour.

I hope this helps!

@ChefDaddy: Thank you! I haven't tried a gluten-free sour dough yet, but this is the most workable starter I've seen. I'm really excited to try it now!

@Syronai- Your welcome. I hope it all works out for you.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

ChefDaddy, what does the onion do exactly? Does it have to be an onion or could you use some other fruit or vegetable? I made my starter with just flour and water.

CBC-The onion ads an acidic value and imparts a little flavor. I once did a side by side comparison of flour and water then with onion and also with wine grapes ( can't remember what varietal) and all were good. I have to say the grapes were good but I liked the onion starter.

I have also heared of using apple, potato and yogurt. But exposure varies on all of these. The onion having a stronger flavor sooner where as grapes or apple can take days. How do you know. Sorry but you have to taste a little starter to see.

The best time to know is when the alcohol rises to the top after sitting at room temp and the smell gives indication as well. I love the smell of the fermented alcohol (call me wierd). And don't be turned off by the color of the alcohol. It can vary from being clear to almost black or even green. Don't worry just wisk it back in and feed or use. I like the starter best when it has a high alcohol content and permeates the whole kitchen or house even. This occures around 24-48 hrs after feeding.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

@ChefDaddy, I'm looking forward to trying your recipe as above. The 6 oz. sourdough starter, is that fluid ounces or weight? and the shortening is .25 ounces? What kind of shortening do you use? Also, just thought I'd mention I really appreciate your responses on foodpickle, you've helped me out many times!

I'm Glad I could help. It's fluid oz. As far as shortening goes I used to use what ever I could get from my purveyor but with in the last year I have used crisco from the super market. I have tried using other types of fats but for whatever reason shortening seems to work best. Have fun!

391534f4 b270 4ded 92c3 29db0367ee4d  open uri20130816 16741 4niqsv

Thanks so much for your help. I have a list of foods that don't taste like I remember them--strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, peaches, shrimp, pork. You may have allowed me to eliminate one.