pasta maker

Best pasta maker?! Looking for hand crank, not motorised. As traditional as you like, aesthetically pleasing a bonus!

asked by natasha over 1 year ago

Doris

I have an atlas Mercato that I am very happy with

natasha

is there anything yours cant make? just so i know if there are limitations

That's what I've used for more than 40 years, and it's the one recommended in the latest Cook's Illustrated. As for what it can't do--it rolls rather than extrudes, so It can't make tubular shapes. But I've never used an extruding pasta maker that I liked.

I've been using the Imperio (from Italy) for years with nary a complaint.

natasha

Pastry board, rolling pin, elbow grease, good knife.
yes, seriously, :)
Forever, like the nonnas used, or until the volume you are making demands a machine.

natasha

its a gift so not sure thatll quite cut it - but thank you!

Then, an Imperia.
Most manual pasta makers can make flat varieties of varying widths (lasagna to fettucini), some or most do spaghetti, few or none do the shaped short pasta commonly available dried.

natasha

thank you!

I don't suppose most of us get much opportunity to test different machines, but I can report on what I have; my ancient Ampia machine seems prepared to keep going at least another century. It mostly works very well, but has no provision for adding dies other than the fettucini and spaghetti cutters, and the fettucini don't always cut all the way through. I'm not enchanted with the method of attaching it to the table, but I think they're all the same for that.