I'm looking for a fluffy sweet cornbread recipe

Don't hate me Southerners! But I'd like to make a fluffy cornbread that's on the sweet side. One that has height to it, almost cakey, but not over-the-line dessert. Does anyone have a no-fail recipe for this style of cornbread?

asked by CL over 1 year ago

Dona

No hate mail please.
SWEET CORNBREAD

PRINT
INGREDIENTS
2 (8.5 ounce) packages of Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
5 eggs
2 cups milk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir corn muffin and cake mix together in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, and vegetable oil and stir. Transfer batter to a greased 9x13 and 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Joy Huang | The Cooking of Joy

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest =)

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

This is my favorite sweet cornbread recipe from Serious Eats. http://www.seriouseats...

Jennifer W

I too have been looking for my idea of the perfect cornbread for years! Fluffy and on the sweet side... well a few months ago I found it! May I suggest having with maple syrup the next day or with sliced strawberries, whipped cream and tapioca pudding:)

Cornbread
1 c flour
1 c WHITE cornmeal
1/2- 2/3 c sugar (depending on sweetness desired)
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 c milk or buttermilk
1/3 c oil

Heat oven to 400. Thoroughly grease with butter 8x8 pan. Mix ingredients until just combined, bake 20-25 minutes.

CL
CL

Thank you, everyone! That looks pretty good Jennifer! I ended up using this recipe: https://www.bigoven.com... Which was close, but almost toooo cake-like. I may try it again with a little more cornmeal and a little less flour, but it was fluffy and sweet without being overly sweet. Thanks again!