How long will smoked salmon last once the package has been opened then stored in a ziplock in the refridgerator? Hasn't seemed to change color at all but has been 2 weeks. Not sure if it's ok since it's smoked.

• Posted by: CaryNC
  • February 15, 2011

hardlikearmour February 15, 2011

2 weeks is pushing it in my opinion. I'd probably toss it to play it safe. Per Colorado State University cold smoked salmon has a short shelf life of 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge and 1 month in the freezer. The longer it is stored the bigger the risk of Listeria.

CaryNC
CaryNC February 15, 2011

Guess I shouldn't give it to the cats either then. I just hate to waste food. Oh well better safe than sorry.

pierino February 15, 2011

No question. Toss it. I never hold it for more than 2 days once opened. Even if it doesn't kill you or your cat it's going to taste skanky.

drbabs February 15, 2011

Next time freeze it. Smoked salmon handles freezing really well.

violist
violist February 15, 2011

If your serious about storing food, a vacuum sealer maybe something you should consider investing in. They're not too costly and they do a much better job then resealable, ziplock bags.