How long will smoked salmon last once the package has been opened then stored in a ziplock in the refridgerator? Hasn't seemed to change color at all but has been 2 weeks. Not sure if it's ok since it's smoked.

asked by CaryNC over 7 years ago

2 weeks is pushing it in my opinion. I'd probably toss it to play it safe. Per Colorado State University cold smoked salmon has a short shelf life of 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge and 1 month in the freezer. The longer it is stored the bigger the risk of Listeria.

CaryNC

Guess I shouldn't give it to the cats either then. I just hate to waste food. Oh well better safe than sorry.

No question. Toss it. I never hold it for more than 2 days once opened. Even if it doesn't kill you or your cat it's going to taste skanky.

Next time freeze it. Smoked salmon handles freezing really well.

violist

If your serious about storing food, a vacuum sealer maybe something you should consider investing in. They're not too costly and they do a much better job then resealable, ziplock bags.