🔕 🔔

How long will smoked salmon last once the package has been opened then stored in a ziplock in the refridgerator? Hasn't seemed to change color at all but has been 2 weeks. Not sure if it's ok since it's smoked.

asked by CaryNC almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

2 weeks is pushing it in my opinion. I'd probably toss it to play it safe. Per Colorado State University cold smoked salmon has a short shelf life of 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge and 1 month in the freezer. The longer it is stored the bigger the risk of Listeria.

Guess I shouldn't give it to the cats either then. I just hate to waste food. Oh well better safe than sorry.

No question. Toss it. I never hold it for more than 2 days once opened. Even if it doesn't kill you or your cat it's going to taste skanky.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Next time freeze it. Smoked salmon handles freezing really well.

If your serious about storing food, a vacuum sealer maybe something you should consider investing in. They're not too costly and they do a much better job then resealable, ziplock bags.