A question about a recipe: Perfect Chocolate Cake

D79fd32a 8063 41cd 80cb 7808e4fb5479  2017 0201 perfect chocolate cake james ransom 263

I have a question about the recipe "Perfect Chocolate Cake" from Posie Harwood. Do I use salt or unsalted butter?

asked by Salinas Rocio 12 months ago

Posie (Harwood) Brien

Unsalted! Always unsalted for baking unless specifically stated otherwise (or dial back the salt called for).

Debra Barringer

We always use unsalted butter for all our cooking, that way you can control the amount and tast of any dish, or add other herbs/spices for brighter flavor. You can freeze butter for up to 4 months.

I understand newer recipes specify unsalted or salted butter. I grew up in a time where there was only one butter. The other day I was thinking about this as I'm going through my old Betty Crocker cookbook. All the recipes just say butter. We had a milkman delivery and he brought milk (whole), cream, cottage cheese(whole) and butter. He'd yell, "Milkman!" As he approached the porch and place the items in the milk box. I miss those days but no matter what new recipes state, I still use regular butter, salted as it is called today. I make no adjustments and everything comes out tasting delicious! Guess I'm old school. BB

Bake and cook with unsalted butter. Serve that delicious, expensive salted butter with your homemade bread and biscuits!