🔕 🔔

Ideas for carrot spirals?

Anyone have a great dressing or recommendations for carrot spirals? I'm making 'greek' turkey meatballs and wanted to do something interesting with them as a side.

asked by nycmlr 3 months ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'd stick with the Mediterranean flavors and use things like lemon, orange, dill, mint, basil, olive oil, honey...maybe a touch of yogurt. You could bring in some north African spice with cumin, coriander, turmeric...or some dried fruits like cherries or apricots. Nuts go well with carrots, as well, such as pistachio, walnut, pine nut, even almond. Traditional carrot salad has mayonnaise, pineapple, raisins, etc. I personally don't find that combination appealing, so I might try to switch them out for similar, but elevated, options. Yogurt for mayonnaise, honey for pineapple, cherries for raisins. Top it with a lemon-dill vinaigrette, and you already have something delicious. Play with it, build on it....but keep it simple.

I find with salad dressings, I never ever follow a recipe. I bring together a few flavors that I like and stick to a 1:2 ratio (although I admit, my ratio is closer to 1:1), acid:oil. When focusing on an ingredient like carrot, its always safe to stay in the same botanical family. So things like fennel, dill, celery, cumin, coriander, caraway, parsley, etc. When focusing on a cuisine, like Mediterranean, there is a wealth of culture to pull from. Greece, Southern Italy, Morocco, Turkey, Spain....all have directions you can go in to achieve cohesion in flavor.

Let us know!