Put berry pie back into oven if too runny

I made a blackberry rhubarb lattice pie and took it out of the oven last night. It looked very runny and liquidy, but I figured it would set over night. After 8 hours out on the counter, it has not set and the puddles of juice are visible. Can I put it back in the oven at a lower temp (and cover the lattice) to cook the fruit and juices some more?

asked by petitegourmande 12 months ago

Stephanie B.

Did you add anything to thicken the filling, like flour or cornstarch?

petitegourmande

Yep, I included the 1/4C flour and 3/4C sugar that was called for in the filling recipe.

Sinetimes hapoens when there is too much juice versus thickener. I use tapioca versus flour as flour wasn't doing enough to thicken. Don't think there is much you can do other than deconstruct the pie and serve the berries over ice cream with a crumbled pie crust sprinkled on top. I did this with a strawberry pie and it was delicious!

Sometimes happens when there is too much juice versus thickener. I use tapioca versus flour as flour wasn't doing enough to thicken. Don't think there is much you can do other than deconstruct the pie and serve the berries over ice cream with a crumbled pie crust sprinkled on top. I did this with a strawberry pie and it was delicious!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Flour thickens at a very high temperature compared to grains like cornstarch and tapioca....I wouldn't use it for something I'm relying on the indirect oven heat to thicken. You could try to reheat the pie, but the low temperature wouldn't really help. You could try to cover the pie and cook it at the same temperature, or you could roll with the fluid filling. I would be lying if I said I've never served a runny pie before ;)