🔕 🔔

substitute for msg in a recipe

Older cookbooks list msg as an ingredient. I can not have msg, what could I substitute in it's place?

asked by Bobbie Buckley Dirks 2 months ago

Powdered dulled (a sea vegetable) can replace msg.
Be careful...as the original is from glutamate, found in seaweed, this season veg may also disagree with you.
Use 1-2 tsp for 1 tsp in original

Auto incorrect; sorry.
Not dulled but d u lse
Not season veg but sea-veg

MSG is a cheap way to enhance flavors because spices were expensive, but I found that either skipping it (esp if you already used to no msg, you'll not miss it), and/or just adding a bit of more flavoring and spices from what is already in the recipe should work. Adding other natural source of msg flavor (mushroom, kelp, etc) might add new uninvited flavor.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

The only thing I notice about NOT using MSG is I won't have a headache after I eat. Really no need to use it.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Like others have said, you can leave it out.
Having said that, I have lately been adding Umami flavors through various means, such as a sprinkle of nutritional yeast in cooking to add a little depth of flavor & nutrition, especially when I am cooking vegetarian. There are different opinions about naturally-occurring "bound" glutamates (nutritional yeast) being ok vs synthesized (msg); you'll know best what you can tolerate. (Here is an online discussion related to my google search for "glutamates and nutritional yeast": http://www.msgmyth.com...). I'm sure others will weigh in. Essentially msg ("Accent") enhances perception of flavor (I remember my mother using it until all the news reports came out). Lots of foods have naturally-occurring glutamates, so if you are required to eliminate them entirely then no, there's no substitute, but it's not essential anyway.