🔕 🔔

Any ideas on how to stew okra without ending up with a slimy mess?

In Africa they eat okra cooked with a few spices, and chopped onions... stewed with water. That's it. The result tastes great but the texture is way slimy. Any ideas on how to improve this? Is there a way?

asked by Sasha (Global Table Adventure) over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

It needs to cook for a fairly long time to lose the sliminess, at least 45 minutes.
My reference for cajun/creole cuisine is The Gumbo Pages by Chuck Taggart. Here's a link to his recipe for Okra and Tomatoes: http://www.gumbopages.com...

if you cook okra in a dry pan (I use a cast iron skillet), it won't get slimy. Of course, then it's not really stewed. You can cook the okra down first in a dry pan and then add the tomatoes or then add it to gumbo minus the slime.

I'm completely down with gumbo. I two giant pots this past Sunday. Buy it fresh and using a really sharp knife, trim it and slice it. In a gumbo it will act as a thickener. As an historical note, okra traveled to Louisiana from Africa along with the slave trade. New Orleans is the ultimate melting pot of French, Spanish, African, and Caribbean influences. That would be called Creole.
Tonight I'm cooking up a Jambalaya, which also combines French slave kitchen techniques in the local mess-up. Its very name is a mix of French, African and Acadian. No okra involved. Yet.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I use a sharp knife to slice okra and cook it right after slicing. Buy fresh ones. To test freshness at the market, snap off the little pointed end of one or two of them. If they are "snappy" and crisp, they're fresh. If they just sort of bend, don't buy.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

this is an easy method of making whole okra stew without ending up with a slimy mess .Will post the recipe in food52

44524a91 ddf0 4785 ba2a de0796d4b129  333

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Try adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the pot just before adding the water. Vinegar helps the sap to seize up. Somewhere along the line, I learned that stirring the slices into a bowl of vinegar, then rinsing and draining them, works, too, but I've never tried this.

I usually fry okra in cornmeal, and the "slime" helps the coating stay on, so I slice the pods directly into the seasoned breading.

Last summer was a cool one and I got a grand total of two (2!) pods. I don't think Seattle and okra go together real well.

7eaa4b74 4ea8 48a9 9067 c0aa2e0b5c3d  img 0788 hsm

Thanks for all these great answers. I feel empowered to try this recipe again :)

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Have you ever tried roasting okra? You could spice it with the African spices, but skip the slimy factor this way:
http://www.ncmarketready...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Today I came across some great okra recipes and a whole article on how to take the slime out of okra, it is on NPR. http://www.npr.org/2011...

Your question has stuck with me all week.