I knocked some cigarette ash into my coleslaw mixture - how bad can it be if I mix it in? Is ash ever used in any recipes?

Jake

That might be gross. Wood ash is used in nixtamal (processed corn) but only as a way to break down protein, then it's washed away. Tobacco ash + cigarette additives won't taste good in food. No judgement, but if you smoke while cooking, doesn't it make all your food taste like cigarettes?

Really bad. Don't do it. Please.

ADS
ADS

I once had a particulalry awful dessert at at restaurant in Barcelona- the whipped cream was flavored to taste like a cigar ash....really vile.
Toss it.

testkitchenette

I hope you are kidding.

Ash, although not cigarette ash, can be used in making cheese. Not coleslaw however.

obleak1

Is this Ruth Bourdain?