🔕 🔔

What to make with celery??

I have a full stock of celery after using a bit for a great japenese curried fried rice, but now i have no idea what to do with it. Note: the boyfriend "hates" celery, as in things with a strong celery taste (or non-taste if you will). He liked the fried rice though.

asked by yella almost 6 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Sounds like your BF doesn't mind the taste when the celery is cooked. You could put it in stock (lots of chicken stock recipes on this site) or make a gumbo (celery is part of the cajun "holy trinity"--onion, celery, bell pepper). It's also one of the ingredients in a mirepoix (onion, carrots, celery), which is used as the base for sauces, soups and stews.

3be52660 e1df 4517 91fd c0d0a5b3d477  frenchbluestyle

Give it the French treatment: braise in stock, then gratin with topping of breadcrumbs, parmesan, butter. Irresistible!

2458e6a2 8bc0 4127 ade7 7b4aeee937ac  dsc 0013

Thanks drbabs! I think you diagnosed him correctly!

@jane-grenier will try your idea tonight, thanks for all the help!

E34a4afb 23bf 4c16 94dd c3a24505f968  cameraawesomephoto

The restaurant I serve at usually has an Al Arancia pasta special. Chicken or fish or veal, pounded out and dusted with floor and tossed with an orange, celery (cut into thin strips,) shallot, white wine and vodka sauce. once you've reduced the sauce a bit, and added the scallopine, the flour tends to thinken a little. it's been getting rave reviews. there is probably butter involved but I don't see the the whole process on the floor. maybe a starting point. the cooking of the sauce does get out some of the celery flavor and it becomes a nice texture element. serve over any pasta. hope this helps.

I can be turned off by a strong cooked celery taste too - especially if soup has too much, or a stirfry, but I always use some for a base flavor, so I always have it around. I love it raw, though. So I'd suggest a salad with thin sliced celery and fennel and lots of shaved Parmesan cheese, so delicious. Arugula would be nice in here too.
http://www.nytimes.com...

Or if you want more dude friendly food, make some buffalo wings and serve celery sticks with blue cheese dressing on the side. I did some oven fried wings for Superbowl. Just put in a bowl, Rub with a light coating of oil and toss well. Sprinkle with flour (I used Wondura as suggested by the KFC Wings recipe on food52) place on a sheet pan and cook in a 425F oven for 15 to 20 minutes a side. Sauce them.

Last I suggest my mother's pasta salad with chicken, cucumber, celery and onions and olives (she uses ripe.) Dressing is 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 c prepared Italian dressing, 3 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp mustard, salt, pepper.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

A similar question was asked recently on Food Pickle. Take a look at this thread for some other ideas: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle... I loved Amanda and Pierino's suggestion of making Coda alla vacchinara (braised oxtails with celery).

Thanks all for all your responses! I forgot to mention, however, that I need a recipe thats vegetarian. So much for the oxtail recipe.... Couldn't try anything tonight, but now im thinking ill either go for the braised celery or a nice celery salad like nutcakes' suggestion (although I think Bf's problem somewhat stems from the "tasteless crunchiness" of celery (his words, not mine... I love it as is!)
Thanks again for all the help, this question took my foodpickle virginity and now I cant wait to have some more questions answered in the future!

If you like raw celery (your BF wouldn't like this)-----baby spinach with celery sliced very thin on mandoline, with a vinaigrette of evoo and lemon juice (Meyer) is so good and refreshing. I've taken this to parties and people really seem to enjoy it.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Hi Yella,
This recipe goes outside of just celery but it is incredible and worthing sharing. It is Homemade Vegetable Bouillon. The link is below and it is rich and layered in its taste. You keep it in the freezer because the salt doesn't allow it to freeze solid. http://www.101cookbooks...