🔕 🔔

Steel Cut Oats Fans, Convert This Rolled Oat Devotee!

So I love my daily oatmeal (make it with lots of water, salt, slow cook, with flax seeds to thicken to a pudding consistency then add dried fruit, nuts and soy milk or dairy) made with rolled oats. I try to mix it up with other grains (rice, barley, millet, spelt, etc.) steel cut from time to time, but haven't done much with steel cut oats. I want to try just for a change of pace--what's your favorite way to make yours? Water: oats ratio, time, special add-ins. Include the resulting texture/thickness please!

asked by Raquelita over 5 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

This was the best porridge contest winner and its amazing http://www.food52.com/recipes...

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I love steel cut oats. They do take a bit more time to cook, but worth it. I made an oat risotto a while back. It was tasty! http://food52.com/recipes...

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

This was the runner up to the porridge contest and I like it quite a bit!
http://food52.com/recipes...

By the way, I've started using a little less water since I posted the recipe - I think it makes for a better consistency.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Put 1/2 cup steel cut oats and 2 cups of water in a pan, with a little salt. Bring to a boil, leave 2 - 3 minutes, then take off heat. Let it sit overnight. In the morning bring it to a boil again, with another 1/2 cup or so of water to get a consistency you like, and simmer until the oats are cooked through but have a good bit of bounce.
I tend to the less sweet additions, similar to the above recipes. I make a spot in the middle for something like miso or nut butter, and take a bit with each spoonful -- tastes better to me than mixing it in.
For rolled oats, I like the thick organic oats. I bring water and oats to a boil together -- 1/2 cup grain to 2 cups water -- for the rich silky taste. I also mix grains, like barley flakes + oat bran, rolled oats + buckwheat or cracked wheat or quinoa -- whatever comes to hand. I let them cook over low heat, about 1/2 hour, while I rummage around food52.
For any -- sprinkle the top generously with cinnamon; and/or granola (nice contrast of soft and crunchy).
Search "porridge" for recipes from Antonia James -- more excellent recipes.