A question about a recipe: Cornbread

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Cornbread" from Homemadecornbread. 2 TBSP butter are listed in the ingredients, which appear to be for buttering the skillet. But there is also butter in the milk mixture...how much?

asked by gern over 7 years ago

Threemealsaday

The way I read that recipe the melted butter is goes in the mix with the ingredients. Buttering the skillet is extra. At least that is my interpretation.

Homemadecornbread

Yes, the butter listed in the recipe goes into the batter. I use about the same amount for melting in the skillet before pouring in the batter. I should have made that more clear in the recipe - I'll be sure to update it.

gern

Got it...thanks!

innoabrd

classic southern technique: melt the butter for the batter in the skillet so you start with a sizzling skillet.

gern

made this tonight...came out great. added another 1/2 cup of milk, but otherwise straight from the recipe.

aimeebama

I needed to add more milk to make the batter pourable too and that worked. Skipped the sugar b/c I like Southern cornbread. Using a bacon skillet would work really well here so you could use bacon grease from the morning instead of butter for the pan-- will do that next time.