A question about a recipe: Cornbread

I have a question about the recipe "Cornbread" from Homemadecornbread. 2 TBSP butter are listed in the ingredients, which appear to be for buttering the skillet. But there is also butter in the milk mixture...how much?

• Posted by: gern
  • February 22, 2011
2d6bdab3 4206 4c3d ac52 e428177251bc  default recipe
Recipe question for: Cornbread

Threemealsaday
Threemealsaday February 22, 2011

The way I read that recipe the melted butter is goes in the mix with the ingredients. Buttering the skillet is extra. At least that is my interpretation.

Homemadecornbread
Homemadecornbread February 22, 2011

Yes, the butter listed in the recipe goes into the batter. I use about the same amount for melting in the skillet before pouring in the batter. I should have made that more clear in the recipe - I'll be sure to update it.

gern
gern February 23, 2011

Got it...thanks!

innoabrd
innoabrd February 23, 2011

classic southern technique: melt the butter for the batter in the skillet so you start with a sizzling skillet.

gern
gern February 23, 2011

made this tonight...came out great. added another 1/2 cup of milk, but otherwise straight from the recipe.

aimeebama
aimeebama April 17, 2011

I needed to add more milk to make the batter pourable too and that worked. Skipped the sugar b/c I like Southern cornbread. Using a bacon skillet would work really well here so you could use bacon grease from the morning instead of butter for the pan-- will do that next time.