🔕 🔔

What size ramekin gets the most use in your kitchen?

I have 8 ounce dessert cups (not oven-proof) and 16 ounce soup bowls (that are ovenproof). I want to try some recipes like Lemon Sponge Cups, Pudding Chomeur & Molten Lava Cakes & am thinking of buying 8 ounce oven-proof ramekins. Do you think this is a good size for individual servings of rich, fresh-from-the-oven desserts?

asked by Phoenix Helix almost 7 years ago

F2b8ff19 a34c 49cb ab29 ae4cdcec3eed  strawberry tartlettes5

I made the lemon sponge cakes in 7-ounce ramekins and was really happy with how they turned out. Much larger than that, and they start getting a bit too big for individual servings. 8-ounce should work well, too.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I like my 6-oz for individual dessert size, especially with a rich dessert. For a fruit crisp or other less rich dessert I'd go with 8-oz.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The ones that get the most use are really ramikins, but small pyrex bowls. About 3 inches. They're used for mise en place. I have a set nicer ones, 6oz, used for creme brulee.
I don't do deserts much.

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

6 ounce it is! Thanks everyone.