A question about a recipe: Ginger Sangria

I have a question about the recipe "Ginger Sangria" from RebeccaP. What white wine is everyone using?

D41a118b 3366 4696 b4ab 4ef66ca39316  071309f 1023
Recipe question for: Ginger Sangria

Rachel
Rachel August 16, 2017

That one that tastes good.

Joking aside, for a recipe like that I'd use something like a dry, unoaked chardonnay (personally i am not a huge fan of oaked chardonnay, but you might be, and if so, go for it).

I don't believe that i would pair the flavors in the recipe with a grassier, more acidic flavor profile like a sauvignon blanc. The recipe sounds delicious though.

Plunkett Cooks
Plunkett Cooks August 17, 2017

Thank you. I was hoping for a specific bottle name. I have found in the past it can make all the difference with taste. thank you again for the suggestions.

Nancy August 17, 2017

Various Rieslings also go well with spices like ginger.

Nancy August 17, 2017

Two of my favorites for drinking & cooking, one from Ontario, one from Germany
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/strewn-two-vines-riesling-gewurztraminer-vqa/467662#.WZV8jlGGPIU
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/moselland-bernkasteler-kurfurstlay-riesling/15875#.WZV80lGGPIU

dinner at ten
dinner at ten August 17, 2017

I haven't made this particular recipe, but for other white sangrias I've made, something light to medium bodied and brightly acidic works best. Vermentino and sauvignon blancs have worked well for me, but these are semi-random based on convenience -- tons of others I'm sure would be at least as good. The additives in the sangria will swamp out subtle flavors so it's fairly forgiving and also not worth putting something expensive in. Aim for something that's pleasant if a bit boring to drink on its own.