Cake storage question: What's the best thing to do when you take a warm cake out of the oven but want to go to sleep before it's fully cooled?

I don't want to leave this cake out all night—it'll get dry!—but I also can't wrap it right now, as it's too warm and I worry it'll get soggy as the moisture condense on the plastic wrap. Aluminum foil? Wait up for it to cool?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 1 year ago

Drape a tea towel over it. Will keep the cake from drying out yet allow for some air flow so it doesn't get soggy.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I've been known to wrap a cake while its still ever so slightly warm. I would honestly wait the half hour or so. Give it 10 minutes, turn it out and give it another 20 or so. I don't think it has to be completely room temperature, but it definitely shouldn't still be hot. I'd then just chill it completely. In my experience, it doesn't make a cake soggy. I've also been known to lose a bit of sleep over cake baking. :)