Cake storage question: What's the best thing to do when you take a warm cake out of the oven but want to go to sleep before it's fully cooled?

I don't want to leave this cake out all night—it'll get dry!—but I also can't wrap it right now, as it's too warm and I worry it'll get soggy as the moisture condense on the plastic wrap. Aluminum foil? Wait up for it to cool?

Amanda Hesser August 23, 2017

Drape a tea towel over it. Will keep the cake from drying out yet allow for some air flow so it doesn't get soggy.

PieceOfLayerCake August 23, 2017

I've been known to wrap a cake while its still ever so slightly warm. I would honestly wait the half hour or so. Give it 10 minutes, turn it out and give it another 20 or so. I don't think it has to be completely room temperature, but it definitely shouldn't still be hot. I'd then just chill it completely. In my experience, it doesn't make a cake soggy. I've also been known to lose a bit of sleep over cake baking. :)