Can I stop baking half-way through a vegetable tian?

I'm making a vegetable tian (from Gabrielle Hamilton's Prune). It's a 3-hour bake time, and I unexpectedly need to leave the house with an hour to go. Since it's all vegetables (and some breadcrumbs), can I pull it from the oven and put it back in for another hour or so when I get back? Oven is at 375. Thanks!

asked by EG1231 about 1 year ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I don't see why not. Depending on how much color they end up taking on at the end, you might want to give the tian a quick broil for some fast browning.

You didn't specify how long you intended to leave the tian at room temperature between baking sessions.
This tian is probably in the past, but for futures, know that bacteria can grow in food left 2 hours or more at room temperature, when it has been subject to heat or refridgeration for cooking/preservation.
If you have to interrupt baking, put the dish in the refrigerator for the interim, then back to the oven.