🔕 🔔

Can I sear brisket on the grill before I braise?

The stovetop can be such a mess. I'm making two 5lb briskets so using a large disposable aluminum tray to braise. Using Nach Waxman's recipe, and I was thinking of flouring and searing the meat on the grill first. Any thoughts?

asked by Jst123 3 months ago

I haven't done it, but there's a recipe that looks good at amateurgourmet.com which had just this 2-step (sear then braise).
Good luck & please tell us how your brisket turns out

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I always use my gas grill to sear lamb shanks before oven-braising. I think brisket would work just fine the same way.

While you won't have any fond to help out flavor-wise, I think it's an acceptable trade off because there's none of the mess/smoke/lingering odors of stovetop searing. Let us know if you try this!