🔕 🔔

Butterfat % in home churned butter?

Hello, food science types!

I'm curious about how much butter (vs. retained water) tends to be in butter that is churned at home. Assuming I'm using a KitchenAid stand mixer to agitate, and then squeezing for 5 minutes afterward to remove water (not sure what pressure or anything), is there a way to estimate what the butter fat is?

Trying to figure out if my croissants will benefit from this over purchasing 84% butterfat butter from el grocery store.

Thanks :)

asked by Michelle 22 days ago

Most butter is about 82% butterfat, so I'm guessing the homemade would be in that range.
Probably not worth buying the 84% from the store.
The greatest differences in butter flavor come from the milk (and where the cows grazed)...and whether salted or not.
If you have a chance to buy some unusual organic or local butter, that might be worth it for putting ON the croissants or other baked goods.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your reply! The difference that butter makes to laminated dough is related specifically to its ability to rise, no flavour. Although butterfat is typically 82% in Europe, in the US most butter is actually 80% (US dictated minimum).

I live in Canada, where a breadth of butterfat options are available, but butters with butterfat ratios above 80 tend to be quite pricey. So I'm wondering what the butterfat percentage is for homemade butter.

Thanks!

Cheers,
m

Found 3 estimates of fat content for homemade butter in Canada, ranging from 80 to 81%. You could increase this by making the butter, letting it rest, then squeezing out water.
Also saw that the 84% can be 8x regular in price. Eye-wateringly high!.