🔕 🔔

Can we use frozen butter for scones, biscuits and the likes?

I saw a tip from Food Network saying to grate frozen butter for pie crust. This seems like a neat idea. You just need to mix it with flour. However, I'm not sure whether freezing butter will not affect the end result. Any thought about this?

asked by wietje about 5 years ago

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

Also to keep you dough cold for the butter to stay frozen I also put my flour, bowl, pie plate, pin, pastry scraper, pastry cutter in the freezer. And ice cubes in the water if you're making a crust is a nice touch.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Absolutely, the colder the better - no elbow grease required though! You don't want to overwork the dough (or knead the butter in that much) or you'll end up with a tougher and more chewy product.

Great, and thanks. Now I will certainly try it out.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Also replace 1/2 of the water with 1/2 vodka. The vodka won't show up as a taste, but allows you to superchill the water in the freezer without forming ice cystals before making a pie dough.

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

Butter is totally fine in the freezer. If I'm trying to get ahead at work, I'll chop up all my butter in advance, wrap it well, and throw it in the freezer.