🔕 🔔

Shopping ahead for weekend trip

My best friend Amy Rose and I are going to Fire Island this weekend. Groceries on the island are stupid expensive, so we've got to shop ahead and take groceries with us. We're meal-planning before we go. Any ideas for breakfast/lunch/dinner recipes that rely on easily-transportable ingredients? Hopefully ones that two klutzes like us won't destroy in our bags as we hop from a train to a ferry to a car. (Eggs aren't ideal, for example.) We'll be cooking for four!

Mayukh is a former Staff Writer at Food52.

asked 17 days ago

Flour and milk and maple syrup for pancakes. Buy your eggs when you reach Fire Island. Good quality NYC deli cold cuts. Dried pasta, canned or jarred tomatoes. Boxed chicken stock.

Ae4a0a4a 0f04 4668 bfd6 27678deb0a26  img 0737
Nikkitha Bakshani

Nikkitha is an Associate Editor at Food52.

If you get canned chickpeas, the ingredients for this one would travel well! https://food52.com/recipes...

Hummus and pasta/grain salads are great make-aheads and will be easy to transport without creating a mess. Salads are also an option (but omit cutting up more watery or delicate veggies and save for time of service instead)

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

Oatmeal ingredients, maybe we a sturdy fruit like apple to make a fall tasting breakfast. Or my personal favorite, honey, peanut butter, and banana oatmeal where it doesn't matter how smushed the bananas are. Could be baked or made stovetop.
There's some easy grilled cheese recipes that could travel well too: bring along a nice loaf of bread, brie (or another type of cheese), and a jar of pesto for a quick lunch.
Ingredients for grain bowls, easy pastas like olio e aglio and cacio e pepe - maybe with simple salad for the pastas, would travel well.

Cav

We always had bread, lemon & lime marmalade and a variety pack of cereal, tea, coffee and milk ready for breakfast. As for the rest, frozen steaks?

Biggest problem I've faced going self catering was never the menu, but the shoddy knives that seem to be a universal feature. Last time I went (about ten days ago) I had to use my pocket knife on the first night, buying a couple of cheap decent ones the next day. So take a knife or two,

Ditto. I keep a ceramic chef's knife in my car trunk with other travel kitchen tools. They are inexpensive and hold a sharp edge until they break.

Easy to make baked oatmeal with non-perishable, non-fragile ingredients (except, perhaps the butter - freeze it good and hard before putting in your cooler right before leaving):

Butter a somewhat shallow baking dish - a small brownie pan works. Bottom layer is 4 or 5 good handfuls of rolled oats. Sprinkle with brown sugar and whatever spices you like (mix the spice and brown sugar and transport in a plastic box if you don't need the spices for something else). Quarter, core and cut into chunks 4-6 firm apples (less fragile than most pears, but firm Anjous or Boscs could work) and spread on as the next layer. Repeat with another layer of oatmeal and spiced sugar. Beat 3 eggs (buy them there) with 3-4 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Add extra vanilla to the carton of almond milk before transporting. Or, bring some vanilla and spike regular milk that you buy there. Or go rogue and soak some raisins in brandy and transport them in a small box and add raisins plus soaking liquid with the apples. Pour eggs + milk over everything. Sprinkle on chopped toasted nuts (toast and chop at home before packing). Sprinkle on a touch more spiced sugar, dot with butter, and bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 40 - 50 minutes.
It's my go-to baked oatmeal - great with pears as noted and in the early fall, late-season peaches. You can assemble or even bake the night before. You may want to add more milk in the morning, as the oatmeal drinks up the liquid. Have fun! ;o)

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Whoa! Wait, former staff writer? What does that mean?
BB💕

So, do tell, what did you take, what did you buy there, what did you serve?

Another thought occurred to me, for others in this situation: This vongole carbonara would work. http://www.foodandwine... Cook up your bacon ahead of time, buy good shelf-stable clams if they won't be available at a local fish market, grate your parm before packing, or take a flat microplane cheese grater, etc.

Also, broccoli is sturdy and travels well, as it's not fragile and can handle not being refrigerated for a few hours. ;o)

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I know I'm late to the party, but we bring Bob's Red Mill instant rolled oats (it's unflavored so you can flavor it as you like), a 1/3 cup measure (or pre-portion the oats into single servings in small ziplock bags), and a package or two of freeze-dried berries (available at Trader Joe's, but there are other brands too). You add boiling water, top with the fruit and some honey--delicious. We also bring grain mix (such as Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend). It makes a delicious grain salad with sliced, sun-dried tomatoes in the little packets (TJ's--I know I'm repeating myself but they are the best), sliced scallions, crumbled feta and olive oil (buy those small travel toiletry flip-top squeeze bottles, wash them out and fill with good olive oil), fresh lemon juice (lemons are pretty good travelers) salt and pepper. We make this a lot; my daughter often brings it to potluck meals with friends. Canned chick peas also make a good salad with olive oil, ground pepper, lemon juice and optional: parsley or cilantro, minced red bell pepper, onion, ground cumin (or not).

Soon (est Tuesday) you'll be finished with this weekend and doing the post-game analysis.
For futures, some links to articles here on planning food for weekend (whether home or away). Just add some people, some drinks, a good cooler, plastic boxes, ice packs and there you are!
https://food52.com/topics...
https://food52.com/blog...
https://food52.com/blog...

A lot of these are great ideas however they were going to have to carry all of this with their baggage. Yes I do wonder what did you end up bringing with you and making for meals?