🔕 🔔

freezer burn

I have a bakery, and I bake and prepare cakes. then i store them in the Freezer, however, they have Freezer burn. how can i avoid that? especially since i have 20 cakes at a time in there. Please help?!

asked by Natali about 1 month ago

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image
added about 1 month ago

Cool the cakes completely before storing. Wrap the cake part tightly in plastic wrap (add any frosting, icing, or decoration just before selling the cake or serving it). I then store the wrapped cake in a metal tin or plastic container. Put it in the coldest part of the freezer and avoid opening the freezer repeatedly for more than a minute. Sell the cakes within a month or two of making them.
If you are storing the cakes with frosting in paper cake boxes, you are going to get freezer burn since there is too much moist air circulating around them. If you have the freezer open for a long time, the cakes will thaw and refreeze and that can also cause problems.
I have kept cakes and cookies frozen, without freezer burn, for several months stored this way. Buttercream frosting can also be frozen separately. Thaw and beat to combine for decorating the cakes prior to selling.

ktr
added about 1 month ago

I'm a home cook but will keep this advice in mind. I seem to always need a dessert of some kind for a school event on the weeks I am too busy to bake something.