🔕 🔔

Hi foodpickle I made a salmon cured in salt sugar and dill today, its been curing for 48 hours but its now massively too salty, any advice?

asked by @mattpthompson almost 7 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

What about chopping it up and mixing it with creme fraiche, lemon zest, more fresh dill (and NO salt) to pile on a bagel -- that sort of thing? Or maybe simmering it in cream and a little white wine to toss with pasta? Good luck!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Did you just scrape the sugar/salt mixture off the fish?

That's all most gravlax recipes instruct you to do before slicing - but in this case, I don't think it would hurt to rinse it too - if you've given it enough time to fully 'cure', the flavors should permeate the fish's flesh anyway. I'd try that - then pat dry well - before slicing.

I do a similar cure, also for 48 hours, and always give the fish a quick rinse afterwards. Then I store for a bit in the fridge, uncovered, for a day or two to dry out a bit.