Hi foodpickle I made a salmon cured in salt sugar and dill today, its been curing for 48 hours but its now massively too salty, any advice?

Kristen Miglore February 27, 2011

What about chopping it up and mixing it with creme fraiche, lemon zest, more fresh dill (and NO salt) to pile on a bagel -- that sort of thing? Or maybe simmering it in cream and a little white wine to toss with pasta? Good luck!

amysarah February 27, 2011

Did you just scrape the sugar/salt mixture off the fish?

That's all most gravlax recipes instruct you to do before slicing - but in this case, I don't think it would hurt to rinse it too - if you've given it enough time to fully 'cure', the flavors should permeate the fish's flesh anyway. I'd try that - then pat dry well - before slicing.

amysarah February 27, 2011

innoabrd
innoabrd February 28, 2011

I do a similar cure, also for 48 hours, and always give the fish a quick rinse afterwards. Then I store for a bit in the fridge, uncovered, for a day or two to dry out a bit.